I recently saw a recipe in Saveur for banana oatmeal muffins and felt inspired to do a more Fall-flavored take on the recipe. I also tried to make the recipe healthier and bump up the protein –
so these may not be the most moist (hate that word) or intensely flavorful muffins you’ve ever had, but I still like them and I hope you do too EDIT: they are moist and flavorful if you don’t overbake them like I overbaked the first batch! When they look done, poke them a bit and if they’re spongy but firm take them out! Don’t let them overbake! The picture below is how they should look – if they are darker they are probs over done.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
*Note – this recipe made 45 mini muffins. This cook time is based on using a mini muffin tin. Sorry…
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (each scoop roughly 3 tbsp)
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease up a (mini) muffin tin.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (all ingredients through sugar)
- Mix all the wet ingredients together (everything after sugar – even the oats yes)
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Plop spoonful of mixture into muffin tin. Bake for around 16 minutes (or until the tops are a bit browned.